Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In the Quiet of the night

Apparently when you can get up easily at the sound of a creak in the floor, your mind has begun to take a paranoid approach to life.
In the middle of the night when I thought everyone was sleeping something was nudging me awake.
It wasn't the sound of a baby whimper, or putter patter of little boys tiptoeing to the potty.
It wasn't our friend who lives with us trying to be ever so quiet leaving for work or school.
I lay in bed trying to decide if it was important enough to get up when I started to tremble.
I felt no fear nothing at all actually.
A bit numb from being awake at an odd hour for no real reason.
Then the trembling started at my head and worked itself ever so slowly down to my toes.
After what seemed to be hours laying there waiting, I decided to sit up.
That is when I discovered how cold it really was that night.
So cold you could see your breath.
Or at least imagine it because my imagination had gone so wild by then.
Shivering and chattering and tip toeing to the only heat register in the house,
I stubbed my toe, tripped on the cat and bumped into the new dining set
that towers in front of the register.
So being so chaotic in my attempts to stay quiet, I silently shrieked,
jumped and ran back to our room that we share with the baby.
Jumping into bed to violently warm up.
In the "quiet of the night" a baby in our room needed to be comforted too.

2 comments:

Grandma K said...

I can see it happening!
And God tells us we need to become like children. He pulls us on His knees and wraps loving, gentle, kind arms around us,telling us how much He loves us.
Enjoy that.....

wil said...

I know you don't wanna wake me up, but you can snuggle me when you are cold...